Need help finding a job?
You are not alone.
Despite unemployment being at an all-time low, finding a job has never been more difficult.
We explain why in this article.
Beyond knowing why it is so hard to find a job, it’s important to know what services exist to help with the job search process.
Because job searching has become so daunting, many companies have developed in order to ease the pain.
In this article, we are going to discuss some of the best agencies that help find jobs.
We will share how finally, you can retain professional help for finding a job.
You are no longer alone.
Can I Hire a Recruiter to Find Me a Job?
It’s common for us to hear the question, “Can I hire a recruiter to find me a job?”
The short answer is….No.
A recruiter's main job is to help hiring companies fill open positions, not find jobs for individuals.
The way recruiters get paid is by receiving a job description and seeking out a job seeker who is a match.
Recruiters do not receive compensation from job seekers, but they do receive compensation from hiring companies.
Therefore, you cannot hire a recruiter to find you a job.
You can call a recruiter and see if they have any open positions that you’d be a match for. But if the answer is no, don’t expect much assistance after making that initial phone call.
This doesn’t make recruiters bad people. It would be like going to McDonald's and asking them to make a hot dog. That’s just not something they do.
We go into more detail about the recruiter/job seeker relationship in this article.
However, there are companies that work exclusively for job seekers. Their sole purpose is to work with a job seeker, and find, apply, and network for positions that would be a great match.
We’ll discuss these sorts of agencies below.
Why Should I Seek Help Finding a Job?
Not everyone will need help finding a job.
If you have a friend or family member who can make an introduction and get you hired, trust me, you are one of the lucky ones.
Sadly, that is not always the case.
There are a variety of reasons why someone might seek help finding a job.
While some of them are due to job searching struggles, the majority of them have more to do with convenience and delegating.
Here are some of the reasons why someone may need help finding a job:
- Time: Job searching can be a full-time job in itself. Not everyone has time to invest in a full-fledged job search.
- Money: At the end of the day, job searching is not fun. If you have the means to hire someone to find you a job, that may be more appealing than filling out applications on your own.
- Priorities: If you are already working full-time, you may not want to come home after a 50+ hour work week and search for jobs. You might prefer to spend time with your friends and/or family.
- Reality: Job searching is difficult. There are hundreds of moving pieces, and they are ever-changing. Hiring someone who specializes in this arena will likely be much more fruitful than conducting a search on your own.
- Objections: Discrimination does exist. Whether it is gender, age, race, disability, or other forms of discrimination, you may consider working with a professional who knows how to combat these objections.
All in all, there are dozens of reasons why someone may seek help finding a job.
Rather than speculating, we’d like to move on by sharing some of the best job finding services that can assist in your job search process.
Types of Agencies That Help Find Jobs
There are plenty of agencies that help find jobs.
Depending on the kind of help that you are looking for and your overall budget, some of the services may be better for you than others.
Below we will break down a variety of companies that help you find a job, while also explaining what kind of services they offer.
We will break these up into three main categories and one bonus category:
- Fully Managed Job Search Services
- Professional Coaching Services
- Resume Writing & Cover Letter Services
- *Bonus*: Free Agencies That Help Find Jobs
Feel free to select any category above to be taken directly to this section of the article.
There are a limited number of companies that claim to help manage all aspects of your job search.
Most companies will help with bits and pieces (i.e. resume writing, LinkedIn writing, career coaching, etc.)
But very few are willing to stand by you to see if the documents or coaching they provide will return positive results.
That’s where our team at Find My Profession comes in to save the day.
1. Find My Profession
(Watch our 2-minute explainer video)
Find My Profession (yes, that's us!) is a pioneer in the professionally managed job search world.
We were one of the first companies to offer a truly managed job search service.
For anyone who has ever asked the question, “Can I just hire someone to find me a job?”, Find My Profession is the answer.
We call it Career Coaching and here’s what we offer:
- Marketing Materials: A fully optimized and custom written resume, LinkedIn profile, and cover letter.
- Job Searching: A dedicated Career Coach to identify and present to you relevant job opportunities.
- Job Applying: Once you have approved the jobs your Career Coach found, he/she will custom tailor your resume and apply to the job on your behalf.
- Networking: After applying, your Career Coach will find key decision-makers to share your resume with, with the goal of winning you an interview.
- Interview Prep: Expect 1-on-1 personalized interview training available before and/or after every interview that we get you.
This service was designed to take all of the heavy lifting out of your job search.
Never again will you have to search for jobs, apply to jobs, customize your resume, network with strangers, or read lousy interview advice online.
Your knowledgeable Career Coach will manage your entire job search from the resume to the interviews.
Cost: $2600 for the first month (includes resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile update) and $2000 each month you continue the service after that.
Learn more about our Legendary Career Coaching Service.
2. Stewart, Cooper & Coon
Stewart, Cooper & Coon is a human capital strategies firm that offers a variety of different services.
The service that we will be focusing on today is their "individual executive placement" services.
Like Find My Profession, SC&C provides job-finding services to help you find a new job.
This job search agency has been around since 1997 and offers a ton of information on their site regarding the services provided.
From what we gathered, Steward, Cooper & Coon offers the following:
- Marketing Materials: Work with a writer to develop your resume and cover letter.
- Social Media Strategy: Work with a professional to develop a social media strategy using Linkedin, Twitter and/or Facebook.
- SC&C WebFolio: Work with a professional to develop your very own personal website.
- Interview Prep: Receive expert advice on interview tips and salary negotiation strategies.
In full transparency, we have never used this service nor have we spoken with any of their past clients. While we cannot endorse this service personally, we do want to provide you with options so that you can begin the research on your own.
Cost: Our most recent data comes from 2012 where quotes were $6,000 - $10,000. We think the cost would be closer to $10,000 - $15,000 now.
Learn more about SC&C's executive placement services.
Other agencies that are known for helping people find jobs are professional coaching companies.
Professional coaching services are usually more affordable than fully managed job search services.
Rather than doing all the work for you, they will teach you some of the valuable skills and best practices in order to find a job on your own.
Some of these services include interview coaching, salary negotiation coaching, and even networking coaching.
Professional coaching services adopt the “teach a man/woman to fish” philosophy while fully managed job search services adopt the “give a man/woman a fish” philosophy.
If you’d like to save some money, or you’d prefer to learn the art of job searching on your own, professional coaching services are a great option.
Below, we will share a bit about our #1 recommended professional coaching service, The Muse.
TheMuse is a very well-respected career resource for job seekers around the world.
Unlike other career coaching services that employ everyone internally, TheMuse is a conglomerate site hosting a variety of vetted career coaches.
This allows for a bit more customization.
To start their process, you will be asked a few questions to help match you with the best career coach.
Questions will be focused on your budget, seniority level, and industry.
After answering a few brief questions, you will be provided with a list of coaches who you can book for one of their services offered.
The great thing about TheMuse is that you can read about each of the coach's backgrounds, areas of expertise, and services offered before making a decision.
You are completely in control of who you hire and will not be assigned a random “coach”.
Cost: $250 - $2,000+
Learn more about TheMuse and their career coaching services.
Resume and cover letter services are some of the most common ways people seek help finding a job.
These types of services are used by almost every job seeker at least once in their career.
While most will not directly help you find a new job, they will indirectly be helping (or hurting) you based on the quality of marketing documents they provide you with.
With literally thousands of resume writing services out there, it can be difficult to know who to choose.
To help, we have compiled a list of some of the best resume writing services based on your career level.
4. TopResume (Entry-Mid Level)
TopResume is the world’s largest resume-writing service and a recommended affiliate of Find My Profession.
TopResume offers resume and cover letter writing services that are fast, reliable, and consistent.
Given the massive volume of resumes that TopResume is entrusted with, their team has mastered the art of affordable resume writing.
They even offer a free resume critique (no strings attached).
While they do offer services for senior-level individuals, we recommend them for entry-mid career professionals.
For senior-level leaders who are willing to invest a bit more in their career, we would recommend considering a company with a more tailored approach, and more seasoned resume writers.
Learn more about TopResume and receive your free resume critique.
5. Find My Profession (Senior-Executive)
Find My Profession is a top-rated resume writing service with a focus on senior leadership and executive-level positions.
If the name sounds familiar, scroll up a bit.
In addition to offering one of the most praised resume writing services in the world, we are also home of the Legendary Career Coaching Service.
What makes our resume writing process so special is our 1-on-1 attention.
We don’t outsource our work. We never use a cookie-cutter template. You speak directly with your resume writer and receive access to their direct phone number and email.
All of our clients receive a personalized phone consultation, 3-5 business day turnaround, and a 60-Day Interview Guarantee.
Learn more about our resume writing services.
It's important to note that the most value will typically come from a paid service (especially one of the services mentioned above).
However, that doesn't mean there are no free options to help you find a job.
The internet is filled with free blogs providing extremely useful job search tips if you are willing to put forth the effort to study them.
But since there is almost too much information floating around the web, it can be hard to know who to trust.
Below, we recommend our top 3 favorite career blogs to follow and explore:
1. The Balance Careers: 20+ years of writing accumulating to more than 10,000 career-related articles. Browse dozens of categories including tips on job searching, internships, management, salary negotiation, work-family balance, and more.
2. TheMuse: In addition to the career coaching services offered above, TheMuse also offers a ton of great free advice on their blog. Subscribe to their blog page for daily or weekly newsletters bringing the latest career advice straight to your inbox.
3. Find My Profession: In addition to our top-rated resume and career coaching services, Find My Profession provides some of the highest quality and best of all, free career advice on the internet. Find out why we were selected as a Top 5 Resume Blog and a Top 40 Career Blog in 2019.
If you need help finding a job, we recommend one of the resources on this list.
Take a second to ask yourself, "Where am I struggling in the job search process?"
If you have been applying to jobs but aren't receiving interviews, you may need resume help.
If you have been receiving interviews but haven't received offers, you may need to hire an interview coach.
If you simply don't have time to job search, or you have no idea where you are going wrong, you may want to consider a fully managed job search service.
Wherever you are in the job search process, there are some great resources that can help you find a job.
The entire team at Find My Profession wishes you a ton of success in your job search!