Don’t let the recruiter catch you off guard with this question. The chances of someone asking this interview question is very high! Now, the answer may seem obvious, but the obvious answer is not always the best answer.
- Employer: "Why do you want to work here?"
- You: “Well, you have an opening, I need a job, so obviously that’s why I want to work here.” Or “You have a high-paying sales position available and I am a salesperson who wants to make a lot of money”.
Those answers although truthful, are not going to help you land the job.
What the employer wants to know
- They want to know if you are desperate. Are you being selective in your job search or are you just applying to any random job that will have you?
- How much do you really care about the company as a whole?
- Have you done research on the company to see why they are great and why they would be a good fit for you?
- What are some of your qualifications when looking for a job?
This will help the employer determine if you are going to be a good fit for this specific position.
When answering the question “Why do you want to work here” it's important to address all the employer's concerns. This is your chance to show the employer that you have done your research on the company, know what you are getting into, and you are excited to be a part of the company.
“After following your company on LinkedIn, Facebook, and doing a little personal research on your website, I have realized that you guys are revolutionizing the way vehicles are produced. I was very impressed with your company’s vision and plans for the upcoming years as well as the background of your founder and CEO. I would be honored to work for a company like yours and I am confident that my background, experience, and skills can be put to use while contributing to the companies mission.”
The employer can easily see from this example that you have done your research on the company, you are selective about the quality of the company you are looking for, and you believe that your skills can positively contribute to the overall mission of the company. You have effectively answered the question "why do you want to work here."
To see all of our basic interview questions and answers, check out the 50 Top Job Interview Questions & Answers.