Have you ever been asked the question “What interests you most about this position?” You are not alone. This can be a difficult question to answer on the spot. You are probably thinking about ten different reasons why you want the job, but it’s important to prepare your answer before the interview.
Answers to avoid
- “The position pays well.”
- “What interests me most about the position is that it is with Google and you guys are a great company!”
- “I really like that you offer catered lunches and a full bar.”
- “The people at ABC Company seem really nice.”
- “The benefits are great!”
Try to avoid focusing on company perks, culture, and brand names. Instead, focus on the actual job duties of the position you are applying for. Don’t get what interests you most about the position confused with what interests you most about the company. Check out our article for more career advice on how to answer the interview question, "Why Do You Want To Work Here?"
It’s important to know why these questions are being asked in order to mold your answer in an effective way. Your potential employer is asking you what interests you most about this position in order to gauge your understanding of the position you are applying for. Here are some of the reasons the employer could be asking you this question.
- Do you fully understand what this position entails?
- With this understanding, do you still feel you are a good fit?
- Will you enjoy this type of work?
Make sure to address the employer's concerns when you answer this interview question. Here is an example of an acceptable answer.
Sample correct answer
- “What interests me most about this position is the opportunity for me to work hands-on with the sales team. Many other companies I have interviewed at for sales manager positions are very hands off. They seem to be more focused on monitoring activity and pipeline, then the actual development of the sales reps. Training others and passing on my SaaS knowledge has always been a passion of mine, and I feel that ABC Company shares similar values. Allowing me to train and mentor these sales reps will result in a huge increase in productivity and overall revenue gained.”
For more interview questions and answers check out the 50 Top Job Interview Questions and Answers.
If you are truly excited about the opportunity then this interview question should not be very challenging. But don’t think that you can just walk into any interview and toss out a perfect answer. It’s important to know what to avoid, and what to focus on when crafting your answer to the question, “What interests you most about this position?”