Your resume is an important part of the job search. It could very well be the thing that sets you apart from your competition.
This also means that a subpar resume can set your job search back months.
Today we will be reviewing Career Steering and their resume writing services.
We have taken a deep dive into the customer reviews, cost, resume samples, and writer credentials at Career Steering. Our overall rating for Career Steering is 75/100.
Career Steering Score
Our goal is to help you find the best resume service that will advance your career. Take a look at some other top-rated resume writing services and find the perfect fit for you!
Best Career Steering Alternatives
Best Career Steering Alternatives
About Career Steering
Career Steering is an executive resume writing and career coaching firm based out of Maitland, Florida. It was founded by Rosa Elizabeth Vargas in 2001.
Rosa is a multi-certified resume writer with over 15 years of experience. She is also a multi-time recipient of the TORI awards, as well as a member of the Forbes Coaching council.
Rosa runs her boutique-style service with the help of a small team. Together, they provide resume writing & career coaching services to professionals in leadership positions all around the globe.
Let’s dive right into some of the pros and cons when it comes to working with Career Steering.
Career Steering Pros vs Cons
As with any company, there are pros and cons. It’s up to you to determine what is a “must-have” and what things you can live without.
- 3+ resume credentials including MRW, CMRW, ACRW, and more.
- Recipient of 25+ TORI awards and nominations
- Member of the exclusive Forbes Coaches Council.
- Each resume includes a 40 – 90 minute interview with a resume writer.
- Very expensive resume service starting at $1,495.
- 2 – 4+ weeks turnaround time is much longer than most services.
- No interview or job placement guarantees on their resumes.
- No packages for entry and mid-management professionals.
Career Steering Customer Reviews
Our Certified Professional Resume Writers have rated Career Steering an 75/100. Additionally, Career Steering has received customer reviews of 4.8/5 on Google. We consider this to be above average for the industry. However, we would have liked to see reviews across other platforms like Sitejabber, Trustpilot, BBB, or Yelp.
Google shows 11 reviews with an average rating of 4.8/5. Most of the reviews were quick to applaud Rosa, saying how reliable, fun to work with, and timely she was. However, these are reviews from over 2 years ago.
As with anything, it’s important to take each review with a grain of salt. Additional research should be done beyond reading the reviews that are found online.
How Much Does Career Steering Cost?
Career Steering resume packages cost $1,495 – $3,995. This is quite high compared to the average service; however, there are many executive resume writing services that cost even more.
Their pricing is divided into a la carte options and package options.
Under their a la carte options, there are two options to choose from – Management ($1,495), and Executive ($1,595)
The main difference between the two packages has to do with your career level.
- The Management a la carte package is for directors and senior management-level professionals ($1,495).
- The Executive a la carte package is for C-suite, senior executives, and board-level leaders ($1,595).
There are six package options, divided into management-level and executive-level.
Under the management-level option, there are three packages to choose from – Directors and Senior Management 180° Career Acceleration Branding Package ($1,995), Directors and Senior Management Reputation Branding Package ($2,595), Management 360° Career Steering Branding Package ($3,695).
- The 180° Career Acceleration Branding package includes a resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile, customized LinkedIn background, thank you letter, job search handouts, and value proposition ($1,995).
- The Directors and Senior Management Reputation Branding package contains a resume, two cover letters, LinkedIn profile, customized LinkedIn background, modern bio, mini-bio, and graphics ($2,595).
- The Management 360° Career Steering Branding package consists of a resume, three cover letters, LinkedIn profile, LinkedIn background, biography, networking resume, recruiter distribution, and coaching ($3,695).
Under the Executive-level option, there are three packages to choose from – 180° Career Acceleration Executive Branding Package ($2,295), 270° Brand Reputation Executive Branding Package ($2,795), 360° Career Steering Executive Branding Package ($3,995).
- The 180° Career Acceleration Executive Branding package includes a resume with custom graphics, LinkedIn profile and SEO optimization, job-focused cover letter, and job search handouts ($2,295).
- The 270° Brand Reputation Executive Branding package includes everything in the 180° Career Acceleration Executive Branding package plus a modern bio with custom graphics ($2,795).
- The 360° Career Steering Executive Branding package includes everything in the 270° Brand Reputation Executive Branding package plus a recruiter letter, customized LinkedIn background, modern bio with custom graphics, distribution to recruiters and venture capital, networking resume or personal branding video, thank you letter, job search handouts, and unlimited email communications ($3,995).
For the most accurate and up to date details on package pricing at Career Steering, we recommend that you visit their website directly.
Career Steering Resume Sample
We wanted to see what the resume quality of Rosa Vargas Elizabeth looked like so we took a look at some of the resume samples featured on their website.
We’ve attached a Career Steering resume sample for you to review (first page only). Below, we share some of the things that we liked, and what we disliked about this resume.
- Contains a clear target position.
- Includes lots of measurable accomplishments.
- Starts off with a strong impact statement.
- Uses action and results-focused content.
- Resume lacks keywords for the job target.
- Uses formatting that is not ATS compatible.
- The summary does not engage the reader and is too simple.
- The formatting is too busy and distracts from the content.
Career Steering Resume Writer Credentials
Rosa Elizabeth Vargas is the lead resume writer at Career Steering. She is an award-winning and multi-certified resume writer.
Rosa holds four resume writing certifications:
- Nationally Certified Resume Writer (NCRW)
- Academy Certified Resume Writer (ACRW)
- Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW)
- Master Resume Writer (MRW)
Rosa also has won more than 25 Toast of The Resume Writing Industry (TORI) nominations and awards.
She has two handpicked executive resume writing assistants to support her in the work. Both the writers are multi-certified and award-winning writers. They also have 15+ years of resume writing experience each.
Sadly, however, the identities of the other writers have not been disclosed on the website. We also couldn’t find them on LinkedIn.
Career Steering Resume Writing Process
Rosa Elizabeth Vargas follows a straightforward and simple operating procedure for getting your resume written.
Let’s look at the steps taken in Career Steering’s resume writing process below:
- You choose and buy one of the resume packages or the a la carte resume service from the website.
- You will get an email within a few business hours, or you can go ahead and email your already existing resume to email@example.com to speed up the process.
- In the email from them, you will get the questionnaire or worksheet that you can fill out, or skip if you so choose.
- Next, you will have to schedule a phone interview with Rosa to discuss your resume branding strategies and other details.
- The interview is around 60-90 minutes for executive packages and 40-60 minutes long for management-level packages.
- Now, all you have to do is sit back and wait for them to deliver your resume.
- You will have the option to set up another interview session for finalizing your resume.
- The turnaround from start to finish is 2 – 4+ weeks, based on capacity (this is quite long).
Career Steering doesn’t offer any interview or satisfaction guarantee with their resume packages.
Also, the number of edits and revisions you get is limited to just 2 rounds.
Is Career Steering Worth It?
Whether or not Career Steering is worth it is entirely up to you.
Our goal is to provide you with the most transparent and helpful information possible. But, only you know what is best for you and your career.
Here is a summary of our findings on Career Steering written and reviewed by a Certified Professional Resume Writer:
- Customer Reviews: 15/25
- Cost to Value: 20/25
- Sample Quality: 15/25
- Writer Credentials: 25/25
- Total Score: 75/100
As a reminder, we highly recommend reviewing 2-3 services before making a final decision.
It’s helpful to understand the different service offerings, prices, and writer credentials before choosing a resume writing service.