Whether you are trying to figure out what kind of a career you should get into or you are in the middle of a career transition, knowing what the most common six-figure careers are isn’t a bad idea. According to the US Census Bureau, the median earnings for an individual working full-time in the United States was $45,997 in 2015. Of course, this is just an average. Depending on your location, these averages could vary drastically.
According to the Census Bureau, as of March 2013, only 6.03 percent of individuals over 18 bring in over $100,000 per year. Now, enough statistics, let’s get to what you came here for. For the sake of this article, we are going to separate these six-figure careers into three categories: medical related positions, non-medical, and jobs that do not require college degrees.
The reason we are doing this is that so many of the six-figure careers are in the medical industry, but many people are not interested in advanced degrees or medicine. Here are the most common six-figure jobs according to Find My Profession:
Medical Six-Figure Careers
Some of the highest paying jobs in the world require medical degrees. While pursuing a medical degree will almost guarantee a high six-figure career, it is one of the least populated jobs around. In other words, for every surgeon making six-figures, there are ten finance managers also making six-figures. The average surgeon on average might make a higher salary than the finance manager, but it can be a very difficult and timely process to become a surgeon. See below for a list of the nine most common medical six-figure careers.
- Experienced Salary: $194,323
- Job Description: Operate on patients to treat injuries, broken bones, diseases, etc.
- Experienced Salary: $189,912
- Job Description: Provide medical care during pregnancy and childbirth. Also, to diagnose and treat diseases in women.
- Experienced Salary: $187,301
- Job Description: Responsible for administering anesthesia during surgical procedures. Responsible for managing serious life functions such as breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure during surgery.
- Experienced Salary: $185,446
- Job Description: Physicians who diagnose and provide non-surgical care of diseases or injuries of the internal organ systems.
- Experienced Salary: $184,799
- Job Description: Various other medical tasks. These include allergists, dermatologists, neurologists, ophthalmologists, radiologists, etc.
- Experienced Salary: $182,413
- Job Description: The jack of all trades when it comes to the medical world. Often works alongside other medical institutions including clinics to assist in patient care outside of their own practice.
- Experienced Salary: $174,434
- Job Description: Provide medical care to infants, children, and young adults. Diagnose and treat illnesses, injuries, and medical conditions.
- Experienced Salary: $160,112
- Job Description: Furnish care related to anesthesia and management of pain for people undergoing surgery or other medical procedures.
- Experienced Salary: $112,224
- Job Description: Perform vision tests. Analyze results. Diagnose vision-related problems such as nearsightedness and eye diseases. Prescribes glasses, contacts, and other medications.
Non-Medical Six-Figure Careers
There are a variety of six-figure jobs that are not in the medical industry. In fact, there are millions of more jobs available in these categories than the categories listed above. Many of these positions do still require advanced degrees. If you are looking for a six-figure career that typically does not require a college degree, see the next section. See below for a list of the 14 most common non-medical six figure careers.
Experienced Salary: $176,775
- Job Description: Diagnose and treat mental illness. Gain insight into the patient’s problems and find methods of coping to help their patients fix their problems.
- Experienced Salary: $162,198
- Job Description: Diagnose and fix problems with patients’ teeth, and other parts of the mouth. Provide instruction to take care of one’s teeth and gums.
- Experienced Salary: $155,404
- Job Description: Provide strategic leadership for a company by working with a board of directors and the management team to build long-range goals, plans, and policies.
- Experienced Salary: $132,717
- Job Description: Analyze new reservoirs to determine profitability. Create drilling and extraction plans to pump oil or gas while reducing overall costs.
- Experienced Salary: $122,121
- Job Description: Supervise and lead a team of engineers, scientists, and technicians. Direct and coordinate production, quality assurance, testing, operations, and maintenance in industrial plants.
- Experienced Salary: $119,499
Job Description: Prepare medications after reviewing physician orders. Dispense medications by compounding and packaging pharmaceuticals.
- Experienced Salary: $113,593
- Job Description: Develop and implement strategic marketing plans for the organization. Develop a plan to attract potential customers and retain existing customers.
- Experienced Salary: $109,783
- Job Description: Supervision of scientists, including chemists, biologists, and physicists. Direct activities related to research and development. Coordinate testing, quality control, and production activities.
- Experienced Salary: $109,110
- Job Description: Oversee IT professionals such as systems analysts, software developers, support specialists, and more. Work closely with technology vendors.
- Experienced Salary: $107,633
- Job Description: Lead sales representatives through the improvement of sales performance. Assign territories, set goals, and train sales reps.
- Experienced Salary: $105,554
- Job Description: Explores fundamental problems in computation and develop theories to address such issues. Study & solve complex problems related to computing for business, science, and other fields.
- Experienced Salary: $105,513
- Job Description: Review financial reports, monitor accounts, and financial forecasting. Additionally, they find ways to improve profitability within the company.
- Experienced Salary: $102,223
- Job Description: Represent clients in civil and criminal litigation. Draw up legal documents, manage client’s legal transactions, and various other legal duties.
No College Degree Required
Despite what people will tell you, a college degree is not the only way to make six-figures in your career. There are a ton of jobs available that do not require degrees but have the potential to make over $100,000 per year. If you are set on not earning a college degree but want to find a six-figure career, at least be open-minded about receiving some certifications if needed. Here are 11 positions that you could obtain that do not require a college degree.
- Experienced Salary: $132,451
- Job Description: Oversee specialist contractors and other personnel. Work with building specialists, architects, civil engineers, and other trade workers.
- Experienced Salary: $125,202
- Job Description: Responsible for the installation and maintenance of the company’s computer networks. Train staff to provide technical support. Work with project managers, engineers, and support staff.
- Experienced Salary: $122,166
- Job Description: To control air traffic including landing and takeoff instructions to pilots. Monitor and direct aircraft movement on the ground and in the air. Utilize radar, computers, and visual references.
- Experienced Salary: $119,950
- Job Description: The head firefighter in the department. Responsible for overseeing and managing the firefighter team.
- Experienced Salary: $117,715
- Job Description: Responsible for calculating the appropriate dose of radiation used in the treatment of cancer patients.
- Experienced Salary: $109,750
- Job Description: Fly cargo or passengers on short or long-haul flights for business, leisure, or commercial purposes.
- Experienced Salary: $103,512
- Job Description: Develops new recipes, plans menus, hires and trains food prep workers, maintains inventory, adheres to a strict food budget, handles purchase orders, and other administrative tasks.
- Experienced Salary: $103,351
- Job Description: Installs, repairs, and maintains pipes, fixtures, and various other plumbing used for the distribution of water, waste disposal, and more.
- Experienced Salary: $102,783
- Job Description: Attend hearings, depositions, proceedings, and other events that require written transcripts. Utilize special equipment to capture spoken dialogue.
- Experienced Salary: $101,000
- Job Description: Solicit new clients to buy, sell, and rent certain properties. Help advise clients on pricing, mortgages, market conditions, and other information.
- Experienced Salary: variable
- Job Description: Various tasks depending on the business. These tasks can range from hiring staff to arranging financing. Responsible for the development, stability, and direction of day to day business operations.
No matter what kind of a job you are looking for, six-figure careers are everywhere. If making six figures is the goal, then this list is a great list to start researching careers that might be a good fit for you.
For more career guidance and advice check out the ten best career sites to land your dream job.