A resume summary usually appears at the top of a resume, underneath contact information and contain solid information on how you add value to companies.
Resume summaries can also include a brief list of highlights and qualifications that make you a perfect fit for the job. This would require, as most companies expect today, for your resume to be tailored to the position for which you are applying.
Below we provide some examples of resume summaries for you. See the examples below to find out what resume summary works for you.
Resume summary statement
You may read often that “objectives are dead”. It is true, so stick with resume summary statements. A resume summary statement tells companies what value you can bring to the table for the targeted role.
This is almost your “elevator pitch” to the employer. Ideally, this is better to use on a resume because you place the employer’s needs ahead of your own. You are letting them know what you can do for them.
Here is an example:
“Product Design Engineer with extensive experience in CAD modeling and product development. Proven skill sets in 3D modeling and FE analysis as evidenced by 5 years of experience developing and improving mechanical products. A collaborative team player with a track record of delivering multiple, concurrent projects in fast-paced environments.“
What is included and what is not included
Most importantly, what is NOT included, the word or phrase, “I did this”. The summary focuses primarily on “what is being offered to the company”.
More things included:
- Specific keywords related to the job function
- Relevant skills and core strengths
- Past relevant experience
- Accomplishments with stated intention to repeat such accomplishments
You may be able to recognize that the summary used above belongs to an engineer. And given not all summaries will be the same, we will share examples of different roles and the summaries that usually accompany their resumes.
Breaking resume summaries down by position
- "Creative, customer-centric Project Manager/Program Manager with proven experience driving the end-to-end project lifecycle, from initiation to implementation and post-launch support. Expert in defining the long-term vision of a program, including developing the multi-year strategic roadmap. Exceptional communicator capable of articulating theories and concepts with clarity and precision. Natural talent for forging relationships and strategic partnerships at all levels of an organization, building consensus, and managing change. Adds value to an organization by focusing on the bottom line, developing innovative and creative solutions to deliver maximum impact across an enterprise."
- "Multi-faceted, efficient, and reliable Executive Assistant with 10+ years of experience supporting executives, sales personnel, and managers to improve internal operations for small businesses. Proficient in CRM applications and design programs. Diversified skill set covering administrative support, client relations, writing, human resources and recruiting, account management, and project management. Excellent interpersonal, phone, and digital communication skills."
- "Highly qualified and achievement-oriented Corporate Development and Finance professional with exceptional technical abilities, strategy and ideation expertise, and outstanding management skills. Extensive full-cycle mergers and acquisitions (M&A) experience, driving deal execution from strategy to integration. Motivational leader with demonstrated talent for managing massive cross-functional teams. Well-rounded, global experience defining development strategies, acting as third party for early-stage startups and large corporations. Motivated by challenges advisory, and managing investments and opportunities to learn."
- "15 years of successful sales management experience within the consumer products industry. Lead by example in motivating sales teams to unprecedented gains. Increased sales in the northeast region by 15% through creative vendor partnerships and instituting sales incentives. Hired, trained, and inspired award-winning sales team, generating profits at 10% above the company average. Conducted customer satisfaction surveys and recommended product enhancements which were then adopted by senior management."
What all summaries have in common
They provide impactful statements on the value they will bring and had bought previously to other companies through quantifiable reasoning that serves the company, not the candidate.