The workday is getting longer as you realize you are not where you want to be in your career.
Maybe your workplace is a toxic environment filled with office politics and gossip. Maybe the company mission is lost and you are sick and tired of looking for it.
You dread going to work every day and wonder how your life got so far off track. You have hope that there is something better for you out there.
It’s time to start looking for your dream job.
Is it out there? It has to be, right? You have to believe there is a great job out there for you. You deserve a job that is fulfilling and improves your state of being.
You deserve a job that you look forward to every day. You deserve a job that fits your goals and allows for balance in your life.
You Don’t Have to Settle
With a little bit of introspection, visioning, and networking you will be on your way.
You will be closer to finding a job that aligns with your passion and provides for what you want in life.
Here are 5 steps to get you started in the right direction.
1. Steps to Begin Brainstorming
Grab a pen and paper and find a quiet place to sit for about 30 minutes.
Create two columns:
- Column #1: Write all the things you want in a job.
- Column #2: Write what you definitely don’t want.
Start jotting down words and phrases in each column until you have nothing more to write.
Do you see a pattern forming? Notice a clear direction?
2. How to Find Your Ideal Job by Digging a Little Deeper
Don’t be shy. Ask yourself these questions and write down the answers:
- What type of job are you looking for?
- Are you a leader?
- Do you prefer to work independently?
- What roles do you see yourself in?
- What do you need for work/life balance?
- How important is your daily schedule?
- Are location and travel important to you?
- What kind of office culture are you looking for?
- Do you like a fun environment where you can learn and grow?
- Is employee engagement important to you?
Wrap it up with questions about what the company might offer.
- What are your salary expectations?
- How much vacation/personal/sick time do you need?
- Is an exceptional company sponsored healthcare plan important to you?
- What about retirement planning?
3. How to Update Your Resume to Reflect What You Want
Highlight the areas that you are most excited about. Search online for keywords that might be missing in your job descriptions.
Elaborate on your achievements and success stories. Ask trusted friends/advisors to review your resume.
Consider hiring a professional resume writer.
Determine what areas need improvement. Consider certifications or more education you might need.
4. Ways to Utilize Your Network on Linkedin
Search on LinkedIn to see if you know anyone who works at companies you are interested in.
Discreetly let your top connections know you are searching for a new opportunity.
Be clear in your messages and confident about your abilities. Communicate what you want, not what you don’t want.
Stay positive! Send thank you messages and offer your help when appropriate. You are building valuable relationships.
5. How to Be Efficient in Your Search
Set aside time every day to commit to your job search.
Find a place to work that is comfortable and free from distractions.
Follow a plan. Search, apply, follow-up. Keep the lines of communication open.
Take the search seriously. This is your most important job.
Why You Should Not Get Discouraged in a Job Search
The job search is a process that takes time. Continue to fine-tune your ideal job description.
Work to bring clarity to your professional goals.
Every step you take is one step closer to finding happiness and satisfaction in your career. Enjoy the process and celebrate the little things during your job search.
Your dream job is out there!