Changing careers or losing a job (and then finding new employment) is a major life-turning point that happens in just about everyone’s lives.
The importance of keeping a winning mindset during a job search will ultimately make or break your success.
Don't waste time obsessing over how an employer might see you.
How you feel about yourself is more important than you might think.
After reading the 3 winning steps, it is my hope that you will feel excited about yourself and the skills you have to offer.
Be proud of your experience.
After all, this is your chance to bring all that goodness forward into a prosperous future!
Way to win #1: Start where you are
Alright, so you’ve left your most recent job, and you’re looking for the next opportunity that suits you.
First, visit your social media accounts, especially LinkedIn and beBee.
These two platforms can be used to get your personal brand going.
You might ask, "Aren’t 'personal brands' for entrepreneurs or business people?"
If you create a fitting individual personal brand, it will increase your chances of finding work, and you’ll feel good about yourself for having one!
(Check out these 19 Essential LinkedIn Profile Tips For Job Seekers.)
How you win with personal branding:
- You appear serious and more attractive to potential employers.
- Recruiters more easily determine if you're a good fit for an organization.
- It gives you values to identify with and be confident about.
- It increases credibility, shows professionalism, and demonstrates self-awareness.
Way to win #2: Use what you have
Take a complete inventory of all the resources you have available to you.
Let’s do it together right now.
Say you’re in marketing and thinking about ways you can start improving yourself and developing more skills.
Decide that you will keep winning between interviews:
- Join LinkedIn groups and start engaging.
- Reach out and connect with people.
- Send customized connection requests.
Turn on your personality; you’ve got it, so use it!
Look into gaining free certifications
This will boost your professional profile(s) and expand your knowledge base.
One great place is HubSpot.
- Check out their free certifications offered to anyone.
- There are exams to pass and a digital certificate is sent to you.
Don’t let this piece of value go to waste; upload it as media to your profiles!
Consider using LinkedIn’s 30-day premium job-seeker subscription.
This is a goldmine for job search help and networking opportunities.
You can use the LinkedIn free trial once per year.
If you sign up for the trial on January 1st, 2020, you can then sign up for it again on January 1st, 2021, and it is free for another 30-day period.
I recommend you use the trial to your best advantage because it is temporary.
Way to win #3: Do what you can
There is an aspect of the job search that is out of your control.
That is, you can’t force someone to hire you, so don't let this get you down!
Think you’ve done it all?
Think harder about how you can step up your game.
(For more helpful information, read How To Write A Professional Resume.)
Don’t become idle!
- Update your resume/CV until you are beaming proud of it.
- Upload your newly made-over resume to reputable job websites.
- Upload it to your professional profiles (i.e. LinkedIn).
- Watch webinars and listen to podcasts that interest you.
- Use these events as networking opportunities too!
- Check if there is an employment center or local support in your community.
- Many cities have facilities that offer free employment counseling.
- They provide resume touch-ups for unemployed people with no income.
There are many tricks to keep winning during a job search.
It just takes a little creativity and a perspective outside the box.
(Check out Where To Apply For Jobs Online.)
As you work on these 3 tips, you’ll watch your confidence maintain and even increase, because you are only making yourself better.
Good luck on your journey to win!
If you need a little extra help in your job search, look no further!
Find My Profession offers an executive resume writing service that can give you the edge you need.
Contact us today and find out how we can help you land your dream job.